The structure of the Northwestern ADC consists of 5 "Cores," each of which manages a unique component of the center:
- Administrative Core: overall mission of the center and utilization of resources
- Clinical Core: maintains a registry of well characterized individuals with a variety of disorders that cause dementia or mild cognitive impairment and individuals with no cognitive impairment; participants are followed annually and also participate in a variety of approved ancillary studies of brain aging, normal and abnormal
- Data Management & Biostatisics Core: maintains a complex database for research conducted within the center and also contributes data to the National Alzheimer Coordinating Center, which collects data on brain aging and dementia cross all NIA-funded centers.
- Neuropathology Core: maintains a brain and tissue bank from participants in the Clinical Core for collaboration among researchers on studies of mechanisms of brain disorders causing dementia and on developing biomarkers of illness and novel treatments.
- Outreach, Recruitment, and Education Core: designs educational programs for university-wide and community awareness of dementia; partners with representatives of under-represented groups to engage individuals in research participation.
Our Researchers and Clinicians
The structure also includes a large network of affiliated researchers and clinicians in the Northwestern system:
- Cognitive Research Laboratories
- Clinical Trials Groups
- Functional Brain Imaging Laboratories
- Communication Sciences and Disorders
- Department of Preventive Medicine
- Buehler Center on Aging, Health & Society
- Neurobehavior and Memory Clinic, Northwestern Medicine
- Sleep and Circadian Rhythms Center
- M. Mesulam (PI/Director)
- S. Weintraub (Clinical Core Leader)
- A. Rademaker (Data Management & Statistics Core Leader)
- E. Bigio (Neuropathology Core Leader)
- D. Morhardt (Outreach, Recruitment, and Education Core Leader)
- J. Disterhoft (Associate Director and Director, Pilot Programs)
- E. Rogalski (Neuroimaging Core Leader)
- K. Connolly (Business Administrator)
Other Clinical Trial Resources
ADEAR Clinical Trials Database - The Alzheimer's Disease Education & Referral Center (ADEAR) clinical trials database provides detailed information - background, eligibility criteria, site listings, and references - on Alzheimer's disease research studies sponsored by the National Institute on Aging, other NIH institutes, private organizations, and industry.